Undecided if Edmonton Oilers GM Ken Holland is working the telephones making an attempt to get Jesse Puljujarvi eliminated or if he’s in a holding sample an ongoing saga by way of standing, however coach Jay Woodcroft is able to go along with the massive Finn ahead with the beginning of the primary coaching camp simply a few days away.
“I’ve a variety of time for Jesse,” Woodcroft informed Oilers Now host Bob Stauffer on Friday. “Clearly, I’ve seen him mature through the years. . . . I’ve seen Jesse for some time now. he is been again in these skates for some time. he appears nice.
“He is somebody we sat down with. We talked by way of a number of adjustments or systematic tweaks that we wish to add. We’re going to begin a coaching camp to implement them. He’s enthusiastic about it. He’s an excellent man. He’s approaching the camp with the suitable angle, he’s wholesome. He feels good about himself and we be ok with him.”
Whether or not issues are as rosy as the image Woodcroft paints – I do not suppose so, however I do not know that – or Puljujarvi needs out of right here and the Netherlands attempt to do one thing, going public with any displeasure doesn’t assist. course of, so it is unlikely we’ll hear something in the way in which of discouraging phrases as camp opens.
That is the way it needs to be.
THE NAMED NAMES
All the things will come to a head this week when the Oilers return from the rookie event in Penticton and the opening of the 2022 version of the primary camp. In between, we’ll discover out who the primary two inductees into the Oilers Corridor of Fame/Ring of Honor are when their names are introduced on Tuesday.
We all know the category of 2022 will embody Al Hamilton, Wayne Gretzky, Jari Kurri, Grant Fuhr, Paul Coffey, Mark Messier, Glenn Anderson, Kevin Lowe, Glen Sather and Rod Phillips as a result of they have already got their banners within the rafters. The ceremony itself will happen on November third earlier than a recreation towards the New Jersey Devils.
Former Oilers are eligible for the nomination 5 years after they retire as gamers. Different nominees could embody coaches, employees, trainers, executives or anybody else whose profession or service to the group since 1972 has been acknowledged as excellent.
The 2 new tutors, who can be chosen by a committee with 11 members, we have no idea but. As I wrote again on September seventh: “For me, there aren’t any unsuitable solutions and lots of people deserve these spots.” If it was my name – no – the names could be former dressing room attendant Joey Moss and Ryan Smyth could be introduced on Tuesday. We’ll know quickly sufficient.
A becoming tribute to the cap for Nathan Gerbe, 35, who retired this week after taking part in 435 NHL video games with Buffalo, Carolina and Columbus in knowledgeable profession that spanned 13 seasons.
Gerbe’s declare to fame is that he goes down within the books because the second shortest participant in NHL historical past at 5 toes 4. Goaltender Roy (Shrimp) Worters is listed as the one shortest NHL participant at 5 toes three. Worters performed 484 video games with Pittsburgh, New York, and Montreal 1925-37.
For context, Kailer Yamamoto is five-foot-eight and Theo Fleury performed at five-foot-six.
AND. . .
- Phrase from Sportsnet’s Mark Spector is Duncan Keith, who had the group over for dinner Thursday evening in Penticton, is becoming a member of participant improvement with the Oilers this season. Holland has accomplished this earlier than. He employed Shawn Horcoff as director of participant improvement in Detroit in 2016 shortly after resigning from Anaheim. Horcoff, who turned 44 on Saturday, is now an AGM with the Purple Wings.
- Danger-free signature protector Jason Demers as a depth participant and it is probably not stunning since Woodcroft is aware of Demers from his time as an assistant on Todd McLellan’s employees in San Jose. On the very least, Demers will take up a number of the put on and tear on a preseason schedule wherein the Oilers play eight video games in 13 days.
- Mainly, Evander Kane can have a $5.125 million wage with the Oilers put up with the San Jose Sharks for the subsequent three seasons.
- When: On Thursday, January twelfth, we hop on a airplane at Edmonton Worldwide Airport and make our option to Vegas. Sunday afternoon, we are going to fly again from Vegas to Edmonton. So the dates you have to shut this journey are January twelfth to fifteenth.
- The place we stay: After touchdown in LV, we hop on the free shuttle and make our option to the MGM Park earlier than settling in for a very good evening’s sleep. 😉
- What you get: Your spherical journey flight, resort, shuttle, viewing social gathering (Friday evening), recreation admission – we bought seats this time (Saturday evening), and particular admission to our pre-tour occasion ‘get to know her’ all individuals’.
- How a lot: The full value is the journey, flight, resort, and admission to the sport $1499 per particular person (primarily based on double occupancy)
- Tickets: Able to dive in? Click on on this hyperlink.